Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA.

My grandmother has an AutoPiano "Studio" model with the

Customer Question

My grandmother has an AutoPiano "Studio" model with the serial number 104938. It is in very good shape, probably excellent for its age, but the player part needs work to play. She has over 50 papers of music for it. What is this worth?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Musical Instrument Appraiser should know?
Customer: My uncle said she put $800 into it a while ago and had someone work on it but that could have been 20 years ago for all we know. Looks like the bellows need to be replaced.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for your question. Do you have any photos showing the inside and outside of the piano that you could attach here?

Hi, checking back to see if you still need help with this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
See files attached. It has a mission style bench that stores rolls and has a flip seat ( wood seat or leather cushion) within the top cover.

Thanks for the photos. In checking the serial I find this piano has a date of 1913. Autopiano was one of the many companies in the early 20th century who made player pianos. These old upright players are very common on the used market today and that paired with their old age (and declining condition without restoration) keeps prices low. You mention the bellows needing replacement, which wouldn't be too costly but could possibly eclipse the cost of the piano as it is now. Obviously, the bellows would need to be sound in order for the player function to work properly. In examining the photos, the internal parts all appear original from what I can see, and show significant age and wear. Based on these factors and the used piano market, I would recommend your piano be valued at approximately $250-$600 as is, and $400-$800 if the bellows are repaired. Piano rolls are available at any antique shop in large numbers so they aren't worth much. I recommend including them with the sale of the piano. Antique shops usually sell them for $1/each. Best wishes!

Please select a positive rating at the top before leaving. This is the only way the website credits me for completing this appraisal for you. Thanks!

Hi, just checking back to see if you need more help? If not, please take just a moment to select a positive rating and click "submit". This is the only way the site credits me for working with you. Thank you!