twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.
57035021

My piano is an upright Yamah U1. The serial number is M

Customer Question

My piano is an upright Yamah U1. The serial number is *****(###) ###-#### Can you tell me anything abut this piano?
Thank you *****
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 4 months ago.

Hello Bonnie,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

Has this piano been regularly tuned? Has it had any internal restoration?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Judith
The piano is tuned once a year. It is a black lacquer upright and their has been no internal restorations.
Bonnie

Thanks Bonnie!

Just want to let you know that your piano will need internal restoration pretty soon. The serial number indicates that it was built in 1983 and most pianos 30 years older or more require some sort of restoration inside, as parts wear out and disintegrate.

If it is in very good cosmetic and playing condition, the current retail (replacement or insurance) value of your piano is approximately $4,000. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount or $1,600, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Bonnie.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning this answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!