Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA.

A Steger & Sons upright piano. Serial number 5857 #12? I

Customer Question

A Steger & Sons upright piano. Serial number 5857 #12?
JA: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Tell us what else you do know and the Musical Instrument Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I believe it was manufactured in Illinois 1910-1920
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Musical Instrument Appraiser should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Musical Instrument Appraiser about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 3 months ago.
Hi, thanks for your question! I'm happy to help. Steger and Sons pianos suffered the same fate as many other companies of the day as they did not fare well after the depression. Old upright pianos from this era are very common on the used market which helps keep prices low. In addition, pianos decline in value with age as the mechanical parts wear. A full restoration improves value dramatically and if you've researched piano prices online you may have found some restored pianos offered for sale at high prices. For an unrestored upright like yours, in good working condition, I would recommend a selling range of approximately $150-$300 in a private sale. Best wishes!
Please select a positive rating at the top and submit before leaving. This is how the site credits me for working with you. Thanks!