Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA.

I have a Story and player piano I would like to sell. I

Customer Question

I have a Story and Clark player piano I would like to sell. I believe it to be approximately 12 years old and in flawless, near new condition. The serial number is(###) ###-#### ***** idea as to its value?
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. Is this an upright or grand? If upright, how tall is it? Also, that number listed is far too long to be the serial. Can you take a photo of the numbers inside and attach it here?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is a Grand Piano, we have searched everywhere on the piano and the only number we could find were under the strings on what I would call the sound board. Any advice where the serial number would be. Attached are a few photos.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is another number on a label underneath the piano with the numbers 12202 handwritten.
Hi, sorry for the delay. I didn't get a reply from you for almost a day and hadn't checked back. Am currently away but will try to answer as soon as possible.

Thanks again for your patience. I have returned from my trip and am catching up on these responses. Neither one of those numbers would be the serial, but that's no problem as you already signified you knew the piano was about 12 years old so I can use that age for this purpose. "Story and Clark" pianos made in the 2000's were built by Samick in S. Korea. These pianos were lower end instruments and were therefore cheaper than most other pianos in the market. They are an example of a "stencil piano" meaning a well-known piano company's name is ***** ***** it was actually built by a different, unrelated company. This is a bit of a sketchy method used by some piano companies to sell pianos in the American market. Based on the maker, size, player piano function, assumed age, and used piano market, I would recommend a selling range today of approximately $4,200-$5,000 in a private sale. Best wishes!

Please take just a moment to select a positive rating and click "submit" before leaving. This is the only way JustAnswer credits me for working with you. Thanks!

Hi, I see you've viewed my answer. Do you need any more help? If not, please be sure to select a positive rating before leaving and click "submit". This is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thanks!