twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.
57035021

I have an Antonius Stradivarius Cremonensis, Faciebat Anno

Customer Question

Hey, I have an Antonius Stradivarius Cremonensis, Faciebat Anno 1716 violin. It belonged to my father and bought it over from Germany in 1955. I am wanting to sell it, and not sure what the value would be. It does have some marks on the top of it.
Thank you
Edie Anderson
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 5 months ago.

Hi Edie,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

PLease give me the exact wordig on the label in the violin and tell me what the marks on the top are.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The exact wording is as in my email Antonius Stradivarius Cremonensis, Faciebat Anno 1716. The marks look like knock marks and there are quite a few of them on the top of the violin.
Hope this helps.
Edie Anderson

Thanks, Edie.

Your violin is a workshop copy of a Stradivarius model, made in one of the many factories in Markneukirchen, Mittenwald and Klingenthal, Germany around the turn of the 20th century. They were turned out by the thousands, primarily for export. Today they are considered to be good student instruments (not for concert performers).

In its present condition (damage to the finish), the current retail (replacement or insurance) value of your violin is approximately AUD500. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount or AUD200, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Edie.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning this answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!