Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

I have a Koranic and Bach grand piano that is marked with

Customer Question

I have a Koranic and Bach grand piano that is marked with the following information: Pat. Spiral Spring Oct.18, 1880. Music Rack June 20' 80 (86?).
JA: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Tell us what else you do know and the Musical Instrument Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I have a Kranich & Bach grand piano the is marked with following information: Pat. Spiral Spring Oct. 18 1880. - Music Rack June 20'86. Damper Clasp Feb 5 ' 89. Action Sept 17'89. It needs to be tuned but is otherwise beautiful condition. My best guess is that the wood is mahogany. I am wondering about the value.
JA: Is there anything else the Musical Instrument Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: I have photos if I could email or upload to this site somehow.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Musical Instrument Appraiser about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 5 months ago.

Hi, please provide the serial number from inside so I can find the age of the piano. (Age is unrelated to patent dates)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
53016. Penciled note above says 1912. I responded with this information at 7pm CST yesterday.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Your reply this morning at 9:07 AM is the first response that came through here for me. I apologize if you had posted something earlier that for some reason didn't come through.

It looks like a tuner already looked up the serial and wrote it on the piano, which is common. I did confirm this serial to correlate to a build year of 1912. Based on the other notes written in the piano, I'm assuming that work was done in those years, with work done on the music rack, damper clasp and action. I'm not sure if the action was rebuilt fully or not based on that, however. Considering the age of the piano, the maker, size, described condition and work done, I would recommend a selling range today of approximately $3,800-$5,000 in a private sale, depending on actual condition and local market. I hope this helps--best wishes!
Please select a positive rating today before leaving. This is really helpful to me. Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I responded to your request for the serial number at 7pm CST yesterday.The serial number is ***** A penciled note says 1912.
Hi, yes I see your note that you wrote this morning that says you responded last night. Hopefully you received my completed answer as well as the explanation that your reply last night did not come through. Have you seen my answer?

Hi, checking back. I have fully answered your question and see you have viewed that. Did my answer come through to you OK? Again, apologies for any sort of issue that prevented your reply last night in getting to me, but this form says no reply was sent until this morning at 9:07 AM EST. Either way, I personally answered your question as quickly as possible when I was online.