twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.
57035021

A Sohmer upright piano, #34-96 serial #207732 #34-A : I'm

Customer Question

A Sohmer upright piano, #34-96 serial #207732 #34-A
JA: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Tell us what else you do know and the Musical Instrument Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I'm wondering the value of my piano with the serial number I just listed
JA: Is there anything else the Musical Instrument Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Musical Instrument Appraiser about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

The serial number indicates that your piano was built in 1975. Since that time, has it been regularly tuned? Has it had any internal restoration?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am not sure - we purchased it used 5 years ago. Since then it has only been tuned twice.

Here's the problem:

Old pianos have no value just for being old. In other words, prospective buyers are not collecting pianos; they want to be able to play them. Pianos have parts that wear out and must be replaced, and a piano that hasn’t been regularly tuned will not hold a tuning. So, old pianos are at a disadvantage in the market.
Pianos are valued heavily on age after other factors like style, maker and condition. Age will tell you what kind of wear the piano would have mechanically. Even if the outside looks good the internal mechanisms are likely only in fair condition.

So, are you wanting to insure this or sell it? That will make a difference in the appraisal.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We are looking to sell it as we are moving internationally and won't have room for it in our storage unit.

Okay, I see.

We know the piano hasn't been regularly tuned for the past five years. We can assume it has been restored or it is unrestored. I'll give you values for both and you can decide what to do.

Assuming the piano Has been restored and is in very good condition, its current fair market (private sale or auction) value is approximately $1,650 - $2,000, depending on location and actual condition.

Assuming the piano is unrestored and is in very good condition, its current fair market (private sale or auction) value is approximately $450, depending on actual condition and location.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning this answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

Expert:  twinb1201 replied 5 months ago.

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about this item. I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you.