twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.
57035021

I have an 1896 Valley Gem upright Grand piano. S/N 6896 This

Customer Question

I have an 1896 Valley Gem upright Grand piano.
S/N 6896
This piano has been 100 % restored. It is ornate.
New felt, strings, tuned, refinished. Nickel plated pedals plus the screw type stool with nickel plated feet. Ivory keys have been fixed of chips on edges.
What is the value of this piano for insurance purposes?
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 5 months ago.

Hi Loretta,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

The Ohio Valley Piano Company began building pianos in Ripley, Ohio in 1869, but the firm was officially organized in 1871. In 1874 Milo J. Chase became President of the firm and D. H. Baldwin (founder of the Baldwin Piano Company) managed operations. Chase was able to secure much needed capital, and the firm thrived under the supervision of Chase and Baldwin. During the first decades, the firm built mostly square grand pianos and a small number of uprights under the "Valley Gem" and "Ohio Valley Piano Company" brand names. In about 1879, the firm changed their name to "The Valley Gem Piano Company". By the turn-of-the-century all square grand piano had ceased, and the Valley Gem name was absorbed and controlled by the famous Baldwin Piano Company of Cincinnati. The Valley Gem name continued to be successful during the first part of the 20th Century, but Baldwin discontinued the Valley Gem brand name in about 1925.

Older upright pianos are not very desirable in the market. The fact that yours is fully restored is a plus, but its value is still modest.

If your piano is in excellent condition, its current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately $2,500.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Loretta.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning this answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

Hi Loretta,

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about this item. I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you.