Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser
Experience:  30+ years of experience as an antique musical instrument appraiser. Member of Association of Online Appraisers.

I'm an archives with Stevens County storical Society in

Customer Question

I'm an archives with Stevens County Historical Society in Colville, WA We have a piano Becker and Sons, New York, Patent June 1863, Serial No. 1295.
Since it on display we would like more history of the piano. Our research so far has Becker and Sons firm replaced about 1878 by Becker Bros. And that the piano came from a north Idaho saloon. We are interested in the age of the piano and any added information. We do not need an appraisal. Patrick * *****, *** Charles Graham Rd., Colville, WA 99114
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  jennem22 replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser,and I'd be happy to help.

I'll need you to upload a clear, well-lit photo of the piano. Case and finish style give me many clues!

Photo upload instructions are here:

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The piano is a Becker & Sons of New York. That company became Becker Bros. about 1876. I imagine the father died. It is patent June 1863 and has a serial number 1295. It came to the Stevens County Historical Society, Colville, WA from a saloon in Idaho. It now resides in the Keller House (1910) a U.S. National Register of Historic Places. I am an historian, archivist and author with the SCHS, which operates a large historical park. You can look it up on the Internet.
Expert:  jennem22 replied 4 months ago.

Can I ask where you got your information on Becker?

According to my resources, Becker Brothers was formed in 1892 by Jacob Henry Becker.

The company has no relation to Becker & Sons, which was one of many brand names used by the Whitman Piano Manufacturing Company, founded in 1880.

Of course, both of these are at odds with a patent date of June 1863.

Perhaps you could send me a photo of the labels? And also let me know where you got the Becker & Sons/Becker Bros. information you cited?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This piano was labeled Becker and Sons, New York. I'll go the Keller House and check the patent. I ran across Becker Brothers some where on the Internet and assumed (wrongly I guess) they were related. I'll check the patent date again. If it was a Whitman product, can you guesstamate the age? Also, what do you call this type of Grand Piano, which doesn't resemble the usual grand piano? As for phone calling, I'm hard of hearing (age) and have trouble on telephones.
Expert:  jennem22 replied 4 months ago.

This is what's known as a "square grand" piano.

Whitman was in business from 1880-1926.

Let me know the date and I'll see what else I can find for you.

Oh, please ignore those phone call offers-those come from the system, not me. I don't do this by phone, ever!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I fianlly had a chance to look at the piano again. Interestingly I found on the front just above the keyboard in gold "Becker and Sons."
Then inside on the cast iron left side "June 2, 1863 Patented. Just below that "Becker Bros." on the cast iron. On the wood just below the cast iron is "1295."
From any of can you estimate the age?
Am still waiting for an answer. I sent an update last week answering questions you had.
Name on piano is Becker & Sons, but inside is the patent Becker Brothers - June 2, 1863. I only would like estimate to the age of the piano!