twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.
57035021

I have a violin with a paper in the case that says "The

Customer Question

I have a violin with a paper in the case that says "The Violin bears the ticket of Amtonius and Hieronus Amati, CREMONA 1675". It goes on to say "it is in excellent state of preservation and has been examined by several Connoisseurs. It should bring a price worthy of such an instrument.
Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 6 months ago.

Hello Nancy,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

Does the violin have a label inside? If you shine a flashlight through the f-holes you may be able to see a label. If there is a label inside, please give me the exact wording on it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
there is a label and it reads:
Antonius, et Hieronimus Fr. Amati, Cremonen. Andre fil. F. 1675

Your violin is a copy of an Amati instrument. Antonio Amati died in 1607 and Hieronymus Amati died in 1631.

Your copy was likely made in a factory in Germany around the turn of the 20th century. Many factories operated in the towns of Markneukirchen, Klingenthal and Mittenwald, all producing thousands of copies of the works of the masters, primarily for export. They are still considered to be good student violins today (not for concert performers)

If your violin is in very good condition with very good tone, its current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately $1,000. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount, or $400, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Nancy.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning this answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!