twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.

Current selling price Steinway grand, finish, #143916, in

Customer Question

Current selling price for Model B Steinway grand, ebony finish, #143916, in cared for condition
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 4 months ago.

Hello Barbara,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

Has your piano been regularly tuned? Has it had any internal restoration?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Regularly tuned and no internal restoration

The serial number indicates that your piano was built in 1910.

Old pianos have no value just for being old. In other words, prospective buyers are not collecting pianos; they want to be able to play them. Pianos have parts that wear out and must be replaced, and a piano that hasn’t been regularly tuned will not hold a tuning. So, old pianos are at a disadvantage in the market.
Pianos are valued heavily on age after other factors like style, maker and condition. Age will tell you what kind of wear the piano would have mechanically. Even if the outside looks good the internal mechanisms are likely only in fair condition.

So, it's a plus that your piano has been regularly tuned, but it undoubtedly is in need of restoration. Even the Steinway company will tell you that.

In its present unrestored condition, the current retail (replacement or insurance) value of your piano is approximately $18,000. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount, or $7,200.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Barbara.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning this answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!