Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

I have a gorgeous Sohmer Grand Piano Mdl 77H manufactured in

Customer Question

Hello
I have a gorgeous Sohmer Grand Piano Mdl 77H manufactured in 2003 in high polish walnut finish - techs have regularly tuned it - no cracks in soundboard - tuning pinblock stable - voiced very nicely - rich bass - no rust on strings - no scratches on cabinet - have the original bench and an artist bench - I live close to Nashville TN and am trying to get some "real world" price estimates for it. I know it was built under the "sammick" license and built in Korea etc. Don't want to ask TOO much and also do not want to give it away as it truly is in nice condition!
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 6 months ago.
Hi, thanks for your question!You are correct, these later "Sohmer" pianos were built in Asia by the Samick company. This is an example of a "stencil piano. The use of other names is misleading to buyers and represents American quality and an established business, when that is not the case. In the Asian market for pianos, Samick instruments are on the lower end of value. This would be a nice beginning quality grand piano for light use. Based on the maker, size, age and described condition, as well as value depreciation over time, I would recommend a selling range today of approximately $6,500-$7,300. A similar model retails for about $15k and dealers would mark it down to sell accordingly. Best wishes!Please select a positive rating at the top before leaving--this is how the website credits me for working with you. Thanks!
I've provided your answer but seen no reply--do you need more help?