Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

1900 W.W. Kimball Co. Piano. Serial # ***** Only in fair

Customer Question

1900 W.W. Kimball Co. Piano. Serial # ***** Only in fair shape, but beautiful carvings. Plays well.
JA: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Tell us what else you do know and the Musical Instrument Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: 1900 W.W. Kimball Co. Piano #76566 sorry miss type..
JA: Is there anything else the Musical Instrument Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: Fair condition, plays well, beautiful carvings. 1888 Italia. Serial # *****
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Musical Instrument Appraiser about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. When was it last tuned?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
9\1\65
Thanks for the info. Annual tuning is highly recommended for an old piano so the lack of maintenance is something to consider. The age of the instrument alone means most of the mechanical parts have lived their lives. This is true of any piano over time. Uprights from this era are extremely common on the used market and unless they have been fully restored, don't sell for much. Based on your description of the piano and considering the used piano market, I would recommend a selling range of approximately $100-$300. Best wishes!
Please select a positive rating before leaving. This is how the website credits me for working with you. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what year is it ? 1900 right ? how rare is it ? ....would it be worth save/restore? carvings are killer...
The serial corresponds to 1914 actually. These pianos are extremely common. It would only be worth restoring if you plan to keep and enjoy it. Trying to restore to profit off of sale is usually a bad investment. These early 20th century pianos had more decorative features than later models, but again they are common.
Hi, did you need any additional help? Hopefully I've answered all your questions. Please select a positive rating at the top of the page--this is how the website credits me for working with you. Thanks!