jennem22, Appraiser
Experience:  Certified with Appraisers Association of America, USPAP qualified through 2015, 20 years full-time professional experience.

Used jannsen upright piano. Bought used in late 80's. In good

Customer Question

Used jannsen upright piano. Bought used in late 80's. In good to mint condition. Needs tuning.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  jennem22 replied 5 months ago.
Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.Can you post a photo of the piano, so I can determine the model?Can you post the serial number?Are you looking for a retail value, for insurance, or a possible resale value?Sincerely,Jennifer
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Sorry I was on a short vacation and just returned home. I have added a picture of the piano and serial number. I am looking for retail and resale values as I know resale will be less. The website states pianos can be worth much more when they are restored but I am not sure that that's necessary for this. Your opinion would be helpful. Thank you!
Expert:  jennem22 replied 5 months ago.
The serial number photo is just blurry, can you just tell me the number?Thanks.Jennifer
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The first number is ***** and all I see is a straight line. I could be either a 1 or 7 maybe.
The rest is 53503
Expert:  jennem22 replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. This piano would date to the 1960s.Unfortunately, there is not a high value on uprights from that time period. Janssens are certainly well built, it's just that the majority of uprights do not retain value lately.A dealer at retail would not sell this piano without a full, heavy-duty reconditioning. It would also come with a warranty, etc., at that point.A dealer would charge anywhere from $900 to $2500 for this piano, depending on the degree of rework they do on it, and their locale and clientele. However, on a resale basis in as-is condition, you'd be looking at $500 or less.Sincerely,Jennifer