Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

I have a very old entirely refurbished inside and out Ludwig

Customer Question

I have a very old entirely refurbished inside and out Ludwig & Co. New York upright piano. Do you have any idea how much it might be worth?
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 8 months ago.
When you say refurbished, that term can mean literally anything. What work was done and how long ago was it done?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The piano has had every string and chord replaced. Also the cabinet was refinished. That was 3 years ago, it has not been played since. It may well need a tune up?
Thanks for the info. Can you tell me the serial number to figure age?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Here's more information... The hammerheads were replaced but the original music board (?) is in place. The serial number from what I can see is 8423. I trust this question is not closed as I do not have the answer I asked - which is what is the value of my antique piano.
Thanks for the information. If 8423 is the serial then the piano would date from the 1890's. Thanks for the clarification on work done, which you say includes new strings and hammers, and a refinished cabinet, with the work done 3 years ago. I think by "Music board" you mean soundboard, which is how the sound is reflected from the strings. Old pianos are lower in value but that value is increased when restorative work is done. Based on the information you provided, I would recommend a selling range of approximately $2,500-$3,500 in a private sale. Best wishes!Please select a positive rating before leaving--this is the only way I'm credited for working with you. Thanks!