Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

I have a J. Bauer square grand that was mfg. in about 1880.

Customer Question

I have a J. Bauer square grand that was mfg. in about 1880. About half the keys do not work. Can I get someone to look at it and give me an official appraisal. I am considering donating it to a university and want to attach a value to the gift.C.T. Carley(###) ###-####Starkville, Mississippi 39759
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 7 months ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. These old square grands are worth very little. The technology is outdated and the piano's themselves are very difficult to maintain or work on. They aren't considered antiques for valuation purposes. In the condition you describe, it would be worth only a few hundred dollars (without seeing it), possibly less. Check with any university first to ensure they actually want the gift. I've seen square pianos at universities before but only in restored or very good original condition. If you are allowed to donate it, you will either need to get a statement of value from somebody authorized at the donation site or have an in-person appraisal done before hand. Check www.ptg.org to find piano techs in your area who list appraisals as one of their specializations. Best wishes!Please select a positive rating before leaving--this is the only way I'm credited for working with you. Thanks!
Hi, it looks like you've viewed my answer but not selected a positive rating. A positive rating is the only way the website credits me for working with you. Do you need any further help with this question?