twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.
57035021

VIOLIN.. LABEL INSIDE THIS VIOLIN READS "1919 JACOB O LUNDH

Customer Question

VIOLIN.. LABEL INSIDE THIS VIOLIN READS "1919 JACOB O LUNDH ". IT IS A SIGNED SIGNATURE. THE CASE APPEARS TO BE ALLIGATOR AND IS LINED IN YELLOW VELVET WITH A TIE-DOWN VELVET/NYLON 3" WIDE STRAP WITH SNAP CLOSURE. THERE ARE TWO BOWS WITHIN THE CASE AND SMALL COMPARTMENT THAT HAS EXTRA BRIDGE AND NECK PILLOW. FINISH AND CONDITION VERY GOOD ON VIOLIN. CASE SHOWS MINIMAL WEAR AND LOCK IS FUNCTIONAL. I BOUGHT AT A DR. FRANK NAEGLI ESTATE SALE MANY YEARS AGO. AUCTIONEER RELATED TO THE PUBLIC THAT THE DR'S FATHER PURCHASED IT IN MPLS IN 1920 FOR $500.00. THAT IS ALL I KNOW.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 7 months ago.
Hello Tony,My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.Jacob O. Lundh (1865 - 1951) was born in Norway and emigrated to the US in 1882. In 1910 he settled in Minneapolis. In his career he made more than 400 instruments.If your violin is in very good condition with very good tone, its current retail (replacement or insurance) value of is approximately $2,250. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount or $900, depending on location and actual condition. Bows and cases are usually included in the price of the violin. I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Tony.If you have any further questions or problems concerning this answer, please let me know.If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.Thank you so much!
Hi Tony,I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about this item. I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you.