Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser
Experience:  30+ years of experience as an antique musical instrument appraiser. Member of Association of Online Appraisers.

I have a 7' Buchtmann Grand G-5A. JA: I always love having

Customer Question

I have a 7' Buchtmann Grand G-5A.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Musical Instrument Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: 1. Trying to establish how old it is and what it is worth
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Musical Instrument Appraiser should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Musical Instrument Appraiser about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also interested in the history of Buchtmann pianos as I cannot find anything about them
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is***** will be a pleasure to help you. I will ask you to complete the star rating and payment process after I have completed the question for you. At the moment I cannot find anything in the records for this piano name or maker. This is not that unusual as often in this industry there has been and still is quite an amount of 'badge engineering' ! Does your piano have any other name on it, perhaps on the casting of the iron frame (the harp) or on the soundboard or tuning pin block inside the piano? If you are able to find another name and a serial number I may be able to date your piano. Has it been regularly tuned and maintained? Have any of the internal mechanics been replaced or restored over the years or is it all still as originally built? Also if you have any pictures, particularly of the internal mechanics which you could attach on here using the paperclip or the +Add button on the menu bar in the reply section, that would be very helpful, but if not I can continue without them if necessary