twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.

What r the chances I have an expensive violin? inside of the

Customer Question

what r the chances I have an expensive violin? inside of the sound cleffs is written, Josef Guarnerius
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 6 months ago.
HI Lois,My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.Please tell me the exact wording on the label in the violin.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Josef Guarnerius fecit cremonae anno 17 ihs
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I believe I have paid u
Your violin is a workshop copy of a Giuseppe Guarneri instrument, made in one of the many factories in Germany around the turn of the 20th century. They were turned out by the thousands, primarily for export. Today they are still considered to be good student instruments (not for concert performers). If your violin is in very good condition with very good tone, its current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately $1,000. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount or $400, depending on location and actual condition. I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Lois.If you have any further questions or problems concerning this answer, please let me know.If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.Thank you so much!