John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience:  Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.

Knabe' baby grand 1926 New York Metropolitan Opera Series:

Customer Question

'Knabe' baby grand 1926 New York Metropolitan Opera Series: serial # ***** *****
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is***** will be a pleasure to help you. I will ask you to complete the star rating and payment process after I have completed the question for you. In the Knabe records the serial number gives a year of build of 1960. Did you find 1926 on the piano. When was it last tuned and maintained? Have any of the internal mechanics been replaced or restored over the years or is it all still as originally built? Also if you have any pictures, particularly of the internal mechanics which you could attach on here using the paperclip or the +Add button on the menu bar in the reply section, that would be very helpful, but if not I can continue without them if necessary.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Heres my reply. A plaque found inside states "used by Metropolitan Opera House since 1926". Last tuned approx. 15 yrs ago so it definitely needs tuning. Keyboard regulation and single hammer repair 1988. Other than that, as is original condition. Here's a link of someone playing it a couple of weeks ago which might help u. And a couple pics. I can send u a copy of internal workings shortly
Thanks for the information and pictures. I will complete the research and come back to you. John
Thank you for your patience Bob. From the maker’s records the serial number 166185 gives a year of build of 1960, so your piano is 56 years old. Pianos have a limited life span of about 70 years, mainly due to the wear during use and particularly due to the natural deterioration of the major mechanical parts such as the action, the strings, the soundboard, the tuning pins, the pin block, etc., over time. This can be extended by careful regular maintenance/tuning/repairs and some restoration over the years or a total re-build/restoration of the major mechanical components. Thus one of the overriding factors in any appraisal valuation on a piano is the age and condition of the internal mechanics. The work completed in 1988 will have helped to prolong the life. However, not having been tuned for about 15 years is not ideal. Knabe is one of the older well known piano makers established in the US in 1837. They have quite a good reputation for producing lasting quality pianos. Based on the information I have and that which you have given me, I believe you should insure your 1960 Knabe Baby Grand for a full replacement value of up to $6,000. Thank you for using JustAnswer. My aim is to provide you with a great service and receive a 5 star rating; therefore I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please accept the answer and click the ‘STAR RATING’ or the 'RATE TO FINISH' button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top, as this is the only way as an Independent Expert I receive any recompense for the research I do to assist you. There is no additional cost to you as my percentage of the payment for this question is taken from the amount you have agreed for this question only.If you are disappointed in the value given ‘please do not shoot the messenger’ I can only give you a value based on the current markets and a reflection of similar general sales. Many thanks and if you need any more help please contact me. John
Just checking back again as I have not heard from you and in case you have not received the messages. I am very happy to continue this discussion if you need any more information but if not, I would be most grateful if you could complete the answer process and click the ‘STAR RATING’ or the 'RATE TO FINISH' button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top. Many thanks. John