Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

I'm ***** *****. I have a Jacob Brothers upright, and I

Customer Question

Hi, I'm ***** *****. I have a Jacob Brothers upright, and I cannot find a serial on the sound board, but the wood in various places is engraved in uniform print 7502 and 502, can you tell me approximately where the serial would be or is the set of numbers in seeing the serial?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Hi, I'm ***** *****. I have a Jacob Brothers upright, and I cannot find a serial on the sound board, but the wood in various places is engraved in uniform print 7502 and 502, can you tell me approximately where the serial would be or is the set of numbers in seeing the serial?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Musical Instrument Appraisers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 7 months ago.
The serial is usually on the metal frame that holds the strings and pins. Usually found above or between the strings.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will it be stamped? Based on pictures I've compared the piano should be roughly around 1902, were they stamping them then?
They were usually stamped or engraved. Was that all you were looking for here or did you want a value for the piano?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was looking for an approximate value but didn't want to withhold the serial for you, it is in amazing condition, two keys are slightly out of tune I have the front taken off, I will keep looking for the serial for you
Ok. I will check back in the morning to see if you have replied with the serial. If not; I will go ahead and complete this assuming early 20th century build.
Hi, I wanted to go ahead and provide you with an answer even though we don't have a serial number for the piano. Judging from the photo, the piano appears to be in above average condition for age. Cosmetically it looks good and the visible internal parts appear to be clean and free of rust. It appears to have been kept inside in a climate controlled area for the duration of its life. Old uprights are generally not worth too much in the used market. This is due to the high number of them constantly on the market as well as the often fair to poor condition they are in. Since yours is in better than average condition I will price it a bit higher, though we will still have to consider the significant depreciation which comes simply from age. Based on these factors and comparable sales in the used piano market, I would recommend a selling range of approximately $500-$800. Best wishes!Please select a positive rating at the top of the page before leaving--this is the only way I am credited for my time with you. Thanks!
Hi, did you need any further help? I notice you haven't yet selected a rating. If you can do that real quick it would really help me out. Thanks!