John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience:  Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.
62809984

I have an o. W. Wuertz piano model number 18646 in good condition,

Customer Question

I have an o. W. Wuertz piano model number 18646 in good condition, is it worth anything?
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 7 months ago.
From the records for this maker your piano was made in 1917, so it is approaching 100 years old. Apart from a very few unique and rare instruments, pianos are not usually bought as antiques in the furniture sense of the word because they are bought to be played. Generally pianos have a limited life span of 60 to 70 years, mainly due to the wear during use and particularly due to the natural deterioration of the major mechanical parts such as the action, the strings, the soundboard, the tuning pins, the pin block, etc., over time. This can be extended by careful regular maintenance/tuning/repairs and some restoration over the years or a total re-build/restoration of the major mechanical components. Thus one of the overriding factors in any appraisal valuation on a piano is the age and condition of the internal mechanics. I am assuming that your piano is an upright piano and fairly tall. Unless it has had quite recent restoration to the internal mechanics (within the last 20 or so years) and been regularly tuned and maintained since then, it will be worth from $100 to $400 at the most in a private sale. I am sorry that it is not better news. If the situation on the mechanics is very different from the assumptions I have made please come back to me and I will assess if it changes the value. Thank you for using JustAnswer. My aim is to provide you with a great service and receive a 5 star rating; therefore I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please accept the answer and click the ‘STAR RATING’ or the 'RATE TO FINISH' button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top, as this is the only way as an Independent Expert I receive any recompense for the research I do to assist you. There is no additional cost to you as my percentage of the payment for this question is taken from the amount you have agreed for this question only.If you are disappointed in the value given ‘please do not shoot the messenger’ I can only give you a value based on the current markets and a reflection of similar general sales. Many thanks and if you need any more help please contact me. John
Hello again Sue. I am contacting you again because we have been having some technical issues with the website notifications, so as I have not heard from you, I am just checking back with you again should you need any further help with this question. I would be grateful if you could please let me know. Many thanks. John.