John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience:  Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.
62809984

Steinway Parlor Grand, Louie 5th design serial number 103908.

Customer Question

Steinway Parlor Grand, Louie 5th design serial number 103908. built in 1901. I have reason to believe that it was purchased by Oscar Hammerstein for the Manhattan Opera House that opened in 1906. the Harp is signed by several people but Nellie Melba 1907 is very clear and she did come over here in 1907. Oscar may be another signature but I am not certain
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for your question Gary. My name is***** will be a pleasure to help you. I will ask you to complete the star rating and payment process after I have completed the question for you. I assume that when this piano was in the Manhattan Opera House it will have been very regularly tuned and maintained. Since you have owned it, or after the Opera House, has your piano been regularly tuned and maintained? When did you purchase it? Do you have any other written provenance showing any of the details you have mentioned? Do you know, or do you have any paperwork with details which may say if the internal mechanics have been replaced or restored over the years, or do you believe that apart from tuning and maintenance, that it is all still as originally built? Also if you have any pictures, particularly of the internal mechanics which you could attach on here using the paperclip or the +Add button on the menu bar in the reply section, that would be very helpful.
Hello again Gary. It seems that you have viewed my information request, so I am following up to see if you need any further help on this question please? If you would like me to complete the work I have started for you and continue with the appraisal to give you a valuation please let me know. If it is a problem with getting the pictures and putting them on here, I can continue without them if that is easier for you. Thank you. John.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I want you to look up the serial number and tell me if the information I provided is accurate. Yes the harp has been rebuilt and it has been well maintained. I know they sell for 70,000 to 100,000 but I think mine must be worth considerably more because of the history. I need to know if the history is correct.
Thank you for coming back to me. The serial number records are just that, they are listings of the years and numbers made during those years. To find out more details on a piano such as this you would need to apply directly to Steinway and they should be able to provide you with much more detail. Also under the circumstances, without considerably more information on the condition of the internal mechanics such as the extent of the restoration and/or rebuild of all of these parts, the quality of the materials used, plus when and how they have been restored and/or replaced it would not be possible to give you a complete appraisal. Therefore with such a unique instrument I would advise that the only correct way forward is for your piano to be fully inspected and appraised by a hands on assessment. I suggest that you check out the website for the Piano Technicians Guild at:- www.ptg.orgYou should be able to find someone in the listings who is an expert in appraisals and piano histories and is local to you to complete a full appraisal and report for you. I trust that this helps. Thank you for using JustAnswer. My aim is to provide you with a great service and receive a 5 star rating; therefore I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please accept the answer and click the ‘STAR RATING’ or the 'RATE TO FINISH' button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top, as this is the only way as an Independent Expert I receive any recompense for the research I do to assist you. There is no additional cost to you as my percentage of the payment for this question is taken from the amount you have agreed for this question only.Many thanks and if you need any more help please contact me. John
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This does not help. this is obvious and not worth any money. i gave you a specific number and I thought since you claim to be an expert in appraisals of musical instruments, you would have some answers but have provided nothing. Can you find out who originally purchased the piano. You can assume that the piano was rebuild, properly maintained and in excellent condition. So how much is it worth. $300,000 plus?
Under the circumstances I will withdraw from this question using the Opt Out option and then your question will be open to other Experts who perhaps can help you further. Regards. John
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
good. No sense in telling me I should go to an appraiser. I thought that was what this was.