John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience:  Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.
62809984

We own a Steinway & Sons V125 in Satin M which was bought in

Customer Question

We own a Steinway & Sons V125 in Satin M which was bought in 1986. It had not been frequently used as we bought it when my daughter was preparing for the Grade 6 of the Royal Conservatory piano exam. She had completed Grade 8 2 years later. The piano had seldom been used since.
Now that we are seniors and want to sell it. How much should we ask for it? Its in excellent condition, but had not been tuned for over 10 years.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 8 months ago.
Hello Stan. Thanks for your question. My name is***** will be a pleasure to help you. The Steinway 125 Upright Piano is approximately 49 inches high and has a very good strong sound. Steinway pianos have a particularly good pedigree and so retain their value better than most pianos. Based on your piano being in the order of 30 years old it will have experienced quite an amount of depreciation due to age and usage. Pianos which are not regularly tuned can be at a disadvantage when selling. A similar sized Steinway retails today at around CAD 47,000 after Dealer discounts. Therefore based on the information I have and the details you have supplied I believe your piano has a value in the CAD 14,000 to CAD 15,500 range for a private sale. Thank you for using JustAnswer. My aim is to provide you with a great service and receive a 5 star rating; therefore I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please accept the answer and click the ‘STAR RATING’ or the 'RATE TO FINISH' button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top, as this is the only way as an Independent Expert I receive any recompense for the research I do to assist you. There is no additional cost to you as my percentage of the payment for this question is taken from the amount you have agreed for this question only.If you are disappointed in the value given ‘please do not shoot the messenger’ I can only give you a value based on the current markets and a reflection of similar general sales. Many thanks and if you need any more help please contact me. John
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 7 months ago.
Hello again Stan. It seems that you may not have viewed my answer to your question or you have not received the Email to advise you that the appraisal answer is on here waiting for you. So may I ask if you need any further help? If you do not have any further points that need to be answered on this question, I would be very grateful if you could please complete the question process by clicking on the Star Rating button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top of this page. Thank you. John.