Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser
Experience:  30+ years of experience as an antique musical instrument appraiser. Member of Association of Online Appraisers.

I have an 1854 R. Nunns & Clark square grande with 80 keys;

Customer Question

I have an 1854 R. Nunns & Clark square grande with 80 keys; the keys do not all work as I did not have a heater which is needed in So Florida.
the Furniture is in reasonable condition as it was refinished approximately 15 years ago
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is***** will be a pleasure to help you. I will ask you to complete the star rating and payment process after I have completed the question for you. Do you have a serial number please? When was it last tuned? You mentioned that the casework was refinished about 15 years ago, do you know if any of the internal mechanics have ever been replaced or restored over the years or are they all still as originally built? Also if you have any pictures, particularly of the internal mechanics which you could attach on here using the paperclip or the +Add button on the menu bar in the reply section, that would be very helpful, but if not I can continue without them if necessary.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Last tuned 15 years ago
Replaced mallets then too
It's been in family for 1/2 century
I'm trying to send pics
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
One pic
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Another one
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Showing name
Where would I find the serial no?
Thank you for the information and pictures. The serial number should be stamped or printed inside the piano on the soundboard or frame usually near the tuning pins. It may also be stamped on the underneath of the piano and on the various wooden parts. It will be a four figure number probably starting with a 7 or 8. They stopped making pianos in 1858 and the numbers probably finish at around 9600. Was the value of 14,000 given at a result of an appraisal and when, or is it from research you have seen on the internet? Thanks. John
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I had the piano re done and the man who refinished gave me the history
I'll send the serial no and pic of what he said
He refinished for Van Claiborne and others
He was in Krum Tx
Many thanks. I'll look forward to receiving the information when you can send it. John