Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser
Experience:  30+ years of experience as an antique musical instrument appraiser. Member of Association of Online Appraisers.

I have a 1916 hc bay player piano serial number 80395 in good

Customer Question

i have a 1916 hc bay player piano serial number 80395 in good condition, but has not played in awhile. what is the market for this?
JA: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Tell us what else you do know and the Musical Instrument Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I rescued this from the hurricane here in florida back in the 1990s and had it professionally refurbished. that is all I know.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Musical Instrument Appraiser before I connect you two?
Customer: no, not really but can send pictures....
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Musical Instrument Appraiser about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is***** will be a pleasure to help you. I will ask you to complete the star rating and payment process after I have completed the question for you. The last recorded serial numbers for H. C. Bay start at 23000 for 1929 and would only go up to around 24000. The company went into bankruptcy in 1928 and most of the assets were bought by the Estey Piano Company. So I am a little perplexed about he serial number 80395 you have given. Although your piano is probably dated around this time, to try to narrow it down more, please could you have a look at this website which should help:- manufacturers place serial numbers in a variety of places. Pianos often have numbers other than serial numbers, such as case numbers, part numbers and Patent numbers but this does not give the detailed information needed for individual pianos. Try this site which shows the places to find the right Serial numbers which should allow me to correctly date your piano. Has your piano been regularly tuned and maintained in recent years? You have mentioned that you rescued it from the hurricane in Florida in the 1990s and had it refurbished, was the refurbishment just the outside casework or were some or all of the internal mechanics restored/replaced or are they generally still as originally built? If you could attach the pictures you mentioned, particularly if you have any of the internal mechanics, on here using the paperclip or the +Add button on the menu bar in the reply section, that would be very helpful. Thank you. John
Hello again. Do you need any further help on this question please? If you would like me to complete the work I have started for you and continue with the appraisal to give you a valuation please let me know. Thank you. John.