John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience:  Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.

I have a Lester Philadelphia . Was my great aunts.

Customer Question

Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 6 months ago.
Hello Lisa. Thanks for your question. My name is***** will be a pleasure to help you. I will ask you to complete the star rating and payment process after I have completed the question for you. Is this instrument an upright or a grand piano? If it is a piano, do you have a serial number please? Has your piano been regularly tuned and maintained? Have any of the internal mechanics been replaced or restored over the years or is it all still as originally built?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Upright, Betsy Ross spinet, has not be tuned in 10 years kept in good shape, #275029. Nothing replaced. My great aunt was a music teacher
Thank you for your patience Lisa From this makers records the serial number 275029 gives a year of build of 1956, so your piano is in the order of 60 years old Generally pianos have a limited life span of 60 to 70 years, mainly due to the wear during use and particularly due to the natural deterioration of the major mechanical parts such as the action, the strings, the soundboard, the tuning pins, the pin block, etc., over time. This can be extended by careful regular maintenance/tuning/repairs and some restoration over the years or a total re-build/restoration of the major mechanical components. Thus one of the overriding factors in any appraisal valuation on a piano is the age, type and condition of all of the major parts of the internal mechanics. So the fact that it has not been tuned for about 10 years tends to reduce the value. Added to this, these small sized Spinet Pianos are not now built because the soundboard size and action were very restricted in order to fit into the cabinet which in turn resulted in a reduced sound quality, tone and volume. Therefore based on the information I have, I believe your Betsy Ross Spinet Upright Piano now has a value in the $500 to $800 range for a private sale. I am sorry that it is not better news. Thank you for using JustAnswer. My aim is to provide you with a great service and receive a 5 star rating; therefore I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please accept the answer and click the ‘STAR RATING’ or the 'RATE TO FINISH' button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top, as this is the only way as an Independent Expert I receive any recompense for the research I do to assist you. There is no additional cost to you as my percentage of the payment for this question is taken from the amount you have agreed for this question only.If you are disappointed in the value given ‘please do not shoot the messenger’ I can only give you a value based on the current markets and a reflection of similar general sales. Many thanks and if you need any more help please contact me. John
Hello again Lisa. I see that you have viewed my answer to your question but not yet followed up on the question process. So may I ask if you need any further help? If you do not have any further points that need to be answered on this question, I would be very grateful if you could please click on the Star Rating button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top of this page. Thank you. John.