Tim in Appraisals
Tim in Appraisals, Fine Art Appraiser
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

What is a Antonius Stradivarius Cremonensis Violin 1716

Customer Question

What is a Antonius Stradivarius Cremonensis Violin 1716 worth?
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also has OLE BULL on the back
Expert:  Tim in Appraisals replied 8 months ago.

Good day my name is*****

I am a Certified IRS Qualified Fine and Decorative Art Appraiser. It will be a pleasure to put my expertise, libraries, resources, and experience in the field to work for you.

Thank you for asking this question. It is one of the most frequently asked questions.

First some background.

Antonio Stradivari, also known by the Latin form of his name, Antonius Stradivarius, was a master craftsman who revolutionized the design of the violin. The instruments that he crafted in the late 1600s and early 1700s are considered to be the finest ever made because of the unsurpassed quality of their tone. Of the approximately 650 of his violins known still to exist, many continue to be played by musicians today. Each one is accounted for.

At the beginning of the 20th century mail order houses such as Sears began selling inexpensive violins with the Stradivarius label. These were produced in the thousands first in Germany and then in Czechoslovakia. They came in several grades and finishes. The 1927 Sears Roebuck catalogue pg 668 - 669 offers them for $12.45 to $50.00

Today they sell for $150.00 to $450.00 each depending on the grade and their condition.

Good day my name is ***** ***** I am an IRS qualified appraiser.

As we begin the process of valuing your violin. I will give you some background about Jacob Stainer (c. 1619 – 1683) was the earliest and best known Austrian luthier.

Stainer was born and died in Absam, in present-day Austria. His designs influenced instrument construction in Germany, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, parts of Italy, and several other countries.

He may have been associated with the luthiers of Cremona, Italy, in particular the Amati family, and with the Klotz family of violin makers of Mittenwald, Germany.His instruments were the most sought-after throughout Europe until the late 18th century, when changing performance conditions led musicians to seek a different sound.

At the beginning of the 20th century mail order house such as Sears began selling inexpensive violins with the Stainer label. These were produced in the thousands first in Germany and then in Czechoslovakia. The 1927 Sears Roebuck catalogue pg 668 - 669 offers them for $12.45 to $50.00

Today they sell for $150.00 to $450.00 each depending on their condition.