Tim in Appraisals
Tim in Appraisals, Fine Art Appraiser
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA

I have a violin that I've had since I was 6. I'm 73

Customer Question

I have a violin that I've had since I was 6. I'm 73 now. It was purchased in upstate New York. The typed inscription on the paper label reads: "Jacobas Steiner in Abfam prope Oenipontum 1733". It obviously a copy, but how good a copy is it?
Thank you,
Gary Bigelow
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tim in Appraisals replied 6 months ago.

Good day my name is ***** ***** I am an IRS qualified appraiser.

As we begin the process of valuing your violin, I have to give you some background about

Jacob Stainer (c. 1619 – 1683) was the earliest and best known Austrian luthier.

Stainer was born and died in Absam, in present-day Austria. His designs influenced instrument construction in Germany, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, parts of Italy, and several other countries.

He may have been associated with the luthiers of Cremona, Italy, in particular the Amati family, and with the Klotz family of violin makers of Mittenwald, Germany.His instruments were the most sought-after throughout Europe until the late 18th century, when changing performance conditions led musicians to seek a different sound.

At the beginning of the 20th century mail order house such as Sears began selling inexpensive violins with the Stainer label. These were produced in the thousands first in Germany and then in Czechoslovakia.

Today they sell for $150.00 to $450.00 each depending on their condition