Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser
Experience:  30+ years of experience as an antique musical instrument appraiser. Member of Association of Online Appraisers.
53729464

We have a violin made by a man called Joseph Horvath. It has

Customer Question

We have a violin made by a man called Joseph Horvath. It has a label inside with a number on it. The number is #22, I think. It also says, "Cleveland, Ohio" ...Can you tell me what the approximate value might be? I also have a bow. The bow does not have a name on it anywhere that I can tell, but the piece where you hold it in your hand has a piece of abalone inlay on it and an abalone dot on both sides of the ***** ***** where you would likely rest your thumb and forefinger. It looks like an old bow and I do not know if the strings are horsehair or some other material.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

Can you tell me the exact wording on the label in the violin please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The label reads,"Joseph Horvath" and then underneath that there is a number, looks like "22" and then the bot***** *****ne says, "Cleveland, OH" The label is hard to read but I shined a flashlight on it and I could make out the 22 or perhaps it is 21. I know Joseph Horvath was a violin maker from Cleveland, OH, but I have no other information on this violin. Let me know if there is anything else I can do, perhaps provide a photo of the instrument and bow.