John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience:  Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.
62809984

I have an FJ Bayley Piano, I believe it was made in 1960 I'm

Customer Question

I have an FJ Bayley Piano, I believe it was made in 1960 I'm wondering if it is worth anything? I have pictures if needed.
Thank you, Kim
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for your question Kim. My name is***** will be a pleasure to help you. I will ask you to complete the star rating and payment process after I have completed the question for you.

I am assuming that this is an Upright Piano, is that correct? If so, what is the full height measured from the floor to the top of the closed top lid please? Has your piano been regularly tuned and maintained? Have any of the internal mechanics been replaced or restored over the years or is it all still as originally built? Pictures, particularly of the internal mechanics, would be very helpful. Could you please attach them on here using the paperclip or the +Add button on the menu bar in the reply section.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Honestly, I have no idea on the maintenance, it was in the house we bought. But my neighbor plays piano and she says it sounds in tune.

Thank you for the information and pictures.

This was originally a player/pianola piano but it appears form the photos that the player parts have been removed. By the size and style of the cabinet I would assess that it is older than the 1960's and probably at least some 70 to 90 years old.

Generally pianos have a limited life span of 60 to 70 years, mainly due to the wear during use and particularly due to the natural deterioration of the major mechanical parts such as the action, the strings, the soundboard, the tuning pins, the pin block, etc., over time. This can be extended by careful regular maintenance/tuning/repairs and some restoration over the years or a total re-build/restoration of the major mechanical components. Thus one of the overriding factors in any appraisal valuation on a piano is the age, type and condition of all of the major parts of the internal mechanics.

Therefore based on the information I have, I believe this piano has a value in the $100 to $400 in a private sale.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. My aim is to provide you with a great service and receive a 5 star rating; therefore I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please accept the answer and click the ‘STAR RATING’ or the 'RATE TO FINISH' button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top, as this is the only way as an Independent Expert I receive any recompense for the research I do to assist you. There is no additional cost to you as my percentage of the payment for this question is taken from the amount you have agreed for this question only.

If you are disappointed in the value given ‘please do not shoot the messenger’ I can only give you a value based on the current markets and a reflection of similar general sales. Many thanks and if you need any more help please contact me.