Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA.

We have a Seuffert & Seidler baby grand piano. It was

Customer Question

We have a Seuffert & Seidler baby grand piano. It was manufactured in Vienna, and we believe sometime in the 18th century. We cannot locate a serial number. It is in fair condition with nicely finished tone wood cabinetry and has all components. We would appreciate any information to help establish it's vintage and history.
Thank you,
B. I Weisman
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 7 months ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. There's very little chance this piano was built before 1800. Piano technology was not up to the level it was in about the mid 19th century. There's only one entry in the atlas for an Edward Seuffert, listing an established date of 1800. Because the piano is very old either way, I would recommend it be appraised in person so your appraiser can judge actual condition. The history of this particular instrument would not be able to be researched, though you might find some additional background on the company. The relatively non-existent entry in the atlas tells me little info is available and the company likely went out of business before 1900. Hope this helps, best wishes!

Please select a positive rating above before leaving--this is the only way I am credited for my time with you. Thanks!

Hi, checking back to see if you needed further help with this? If not, I would appreciate you selecting a positive rating at the top. This is the only way the site credits me for working with you. Thanks!