Tim in Appraisals
Tim in Appraisals, Fine Art Appraiser
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

I have a fiddle with a label inside it. It reads Jacobus

Customer Question

Hello. I have a fiddle with a label inside it. It reads Jacobus Stainer 1656 and his pencil written name. It is stamped Steiner on the back just below the neck. What do you think?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: is it fake just from this info
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Musical Instrument Appraisers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tim in Appraisals replied 11 months ago.

Good day my name is*****

I am a Certified IRS Qualified Appraiser. It will be a pleasure to put my expertise, libraries, resources, and experience in the field to work for you. thank you for asking this question. It is one of the most frequently asked question.

Jacob Stainer (c. 1619 – 1683) was the earliest and best known Austrian luthier.

Stainer was born and died in Absam, in present-day Austria. His designs influenced instrument construction in Germany, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, parts of Italy, and several other countries.

He may have been associated with the luthiers of Cremona, Italy, in particular the Amati family, and with the Klotz family of violin makers of Mittenwald, Germany. His instruments were the most sought-after throughout Europe until the late 18th century, when changing performance conditions led musicians to seek a different sound. There were only a few hundred produced and each of these are known and accounted for.

At the beginning of the 20th century mail order houses such as Sears began selling inexpensive violins with the Stainer label. These were produced in the thousands first in Germany and then in Czechoslovakia.

Today they sell for $150.00 to $450.00 each depending on their condition