Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

I have a healy upright piano serial # 77591. I cannot find a

Customer Question

I have a healy upright piano serial # 77591. I cannot find a date. It is 56 1/2 inches high without the wheels. It looks like is in very good condition. It plays fine and no visible problems anywhere (but I'm a layman!). I paid $500 for it to help a friend but I need to pass it along. What is a realistic selling price as is.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for your question. I'll need some time to check serial records for this company.

Thanks for your patience. I have looked into serial number records but find very limited information on a "Healy" brand. Could this by chance be the "Lyon and Healy" company? They were much more well known.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have assumed it was Lyon and Healy. I have no idea why the writing inside says only Healy-- "Healy Piano Company. Chicago USA" I remember something in the company history (L and H) about it partially closing in Europe and restructuring in USA. That was in 1920's or 30's as I recall. It's in such good shape perhaps it's "younger" than I thought?

Thanks for the information. In checking Lyon and Healy serial numbers, it looks like they don't go above 40,000. A couple other piano companies used this name, but they only built smaller uprights. The very tall height of your piano indicates it is almost certainly a pre-1930 instrument. Smaller uprights were much more popular after that and were much cheaper. Because of the older age of your piano, it will have lost most of its value. I think the $500 you paid was probably on the higher end. Assuming this is a 1910-1930 vintage piano, it would have a current value of approximately $150-$400. If you have any photos you can attach here I can take a look and make an educated guess as to the era it is from, but based on your description and available info, I would think the early 1900's will be correct. Best wishes!

Hi, I have submitted my answer but have not seen a reply or rating. Do you need more help with this?