Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser
Experience:  30+ years of experience as an antique musical instrument appraiser. Member of Association of Online Appraisers.
53729464

Steinway & Sons,Overstrung Scales. 12-20-1859 5-28-1872

Customer Question

Steinway & Sons,Overstrung Scales Pat.
12-20-1859
5-28-1872
Repetition Action Pat Nov. 30 1875-CAPO D'ASTRO BAR Pat Nov.30,1878,Duplex Scale Pat.May 14,1872
23/4.81/Nov. 29,1859.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. My name is***** will be a pleasure to help you. I will ask you to complete the star rating and payment process after I have completed the question for you.

Is this an upright or a grand piano? Do you have a serial number? If you need to know where to find the serial number please have a look at this website which should help:- www.pianoatlas.com/serial.html
Piano manufacturers place serial numbers in a variety of places. Pianos often have numbers other than serial numbers, such as case, part numbers and Patent numbers but this does not give the detailed information needed for individual pianos. Try this site and it should open showing you the places to find the right serial numbers which will allow me to correctly date your piano.

Do you know if this piano was regularly tuned and maintained before 1992? Have any of the internal mechanics been replaced or restored over the years or is it all still as originally built please? Do you have any pictures which you could attach on here using the paperclip or +Add button on the menu bar of the reply section please? Thanks. John

Hello again Pat. It seems that you viewed my information request, so I am following up to see if you need any further help on this question please? If you would like me to complete the work I have started for you and continue with the appraisal to give you a valuation please let me know. If it is a problem with getting the pictures and putting them on here, I can continue without them if that is easier for you. Thank you. John

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do your know what the number, "23/4.81....11-29-1859" means inside the piano opposite the harp?

Hello Pat. I am not absolutely sure but I would think it is a patent reference and the date it was registered for some of the parts of this piano, which were unique at the time this piano was built.

To complete this appraisal I need to know:-

1) if this is a grand piano or an upright?

2) did you find the serial number using the website I gave in my first reply?

3) are all the internal mechanics original or have they been restored?

4) has it been regularly tuned and maintained?

Many thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a grand piano; the piano is located 75 mi south from where I am at;am working on getting the Serial #; from looking at the underneath of the piano, it looks original; the outside,the finish is what has been restored; it is walnut with very pretty legs,the ornate scroll, not the big scrolls as in some of the Steinway grands; this scroll is more simple, elegant, not overly pretentious;it is where the leg is connected to the main body and small amount of scroll at the very bottom of the legs. it has not been played very much;my mother didn't play, she gave three daughters lessons, and I had the piano tuned in between 1992 and 1998; she is deceased now; little sister has the piano.

Thanks for all the information Pat. I still need the serial number and the longest length of the Grand Piano but if you can attach some pictures on here using the paperclip or +Add button on the menu bar on the reply section, that should be all I need now to complete this appraisal for you. John

Hello again Pat. It looks like you have not viewed my information request - it could be that you did not receive the Email to advise you that the information request is on here waiting for you. So I am following up to see if you need any further help on this question please? If you would like me to complete the work I have started for you and continue with the appraisal to give you a valuation please let me know. Thank you.