Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

I have a Yamaha parlor grand piano. This was my

Customer Question

I have a Yamaha parlor grand piano. This was my grandmother's and built in mid 1920s It is solid mahogany but has been refinished We are going to be relocating and cant take it with us.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 10 months ago.

Can you provide the serial please? How long ago was it refinished?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I believe it was refinished in the 1970s I found a number 3470 stamped underneath the supports on front left side

The serial should be inside the piano near the strings.

Hi, I'm not able to make a call right now. Can you check inside for the serial?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have looked over and cant find any other number than 3470 that is also etched in the arm. On one part of the metal part it says Armstrong New York. If the serial was on the wood Mom must have taken it off when refinishing

Thanks for the info. If that is the serial it would indeed date the piano to the 1920's. Early Yamaha pianos like this are uncommon in the states because they really didn't start importing them until mid-century. I'm assuming this one was imported by itself by your family, if they were the original buyers. Because of the old age, the piano will have lost most of its value. I'm surprised you had it insures for $20k as that's well above its actual value. Based on the age, maker, condition, refinishing and size I would recommend a current value of approximately $3,200-$4,000. Best wishes!

What happens now? You've paid the website, but the website hasn't yet paid me. Please select a positive rating before leaving so the website credits me for my work today with you. Thanks!

Hi, I haven't seen a rating from you yet, so I'm wondering if you need more help with this appraisal?