twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.
57035021

I have an old violin and inside it says: Antonius

Customer Question

I have an old violin and inside it says:
Antonius Stradiuarius Cremonentis
Faciebal Anno 1736
German Manufacture
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Janice,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

Your violin was made in Germany around the turn of the 20th century. Several factories operating in the towns of Markneukirchen, Mittenwald and Klingenthal turned out these instruments by the thousands, primarily for export. They are still considered to be good student instruments today.

If your violin is in very good condition with very good tone, its current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately $800. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount, or $320.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you Janice.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

HI Janice,

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about this item. I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you.