Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

I have square grand piano,that was built about 1878 and sold

Customer Question

I have square grand piano,that was built about 1878 and sold by Oliver Ditson in Boston. My understanding is that the piano was made in Europe and then shipped to Oliver Ditson. Needs work. Beautiful piece of furniture. I would like to know what it is worth. I am downsizing and need to get rid of it.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any photos of it you can attach?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i don't have a photo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only want an appraisal on the Square Grand Piano. I do not own other instruments.

Thanks for the information. Square grand pianos are worth very little these days unless they've been restored to like new condition. Even still, the market for them is narrow. The technology used in square pianos was the best at the time, but today it is poor in comparison to a modern upright. A square grand made by one of the better companies (Steinway, Baldwin, Chickering, etc) may be worth a little more but still not much. Pianos aren't priced like antiques because they are mechanical instruments and their purpose is much more than being a piece of furniture. Without knowing more about your piano or seeing photos I can't give a precise estimate, but based on your description, I would recommend a couple hundred dollars at best. Somebody would likely want it for a decorative piece rather than a piano to play so I would suggest marketing it in that manner. Best wishes!

Please select a positive rating at the top before leaving--this is the only way I am credited for working with you on this appraisal. Thanks!

Hi, checking back--do you need more help? If not, please be sure to select a rating before leaving. This is the only way I'm credited for your appraisal. Thanks!