twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.
57035021

Just stumbled across a thread regarding a Hermann Dolling

Customer Question

Customer: HI, Just stumbled across a thread regarding a Hermann Dolling Jr. Violin I am trying to give it a value but its much nicer than most of the commercial Dolling that I am familiar with.....
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Its modeled after earlier Brescian work, double purfling, single turn on scroll....
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Musical Instrument Appraisal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

Please tell me the exact wording on the label n this violin.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
HI Judith,There is no label. Its a stamped signature brand and reads Hermann Dolling Jr. No Date

Herrmann Dolling Jr (1862-1923) worked in Markneukirchen, Germany. He was trained by various masters, including his father, and joined the family business in 1886.

Your violin must be an example of his earlier, independent work, as the later violins made in the company's workshop, is derivative of the Italian masters.

If it is in very good condition with very good tone, its current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately $3,500. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount, or $1,400, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about your item?

Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com; experts are verified users. Experts are only compensated when and if you, the customer, leaves a favorable rating.

Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you.