twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.
57035021

I have a Betsy Spinet Upright in excellent condition. It's

Customer Question

Hi! I have a Betsy Ross Spinet Upright in excellent condition. It's says Lester Trade Mart. I'm guessing serial #333946, also has #89176 647 imprinted on both right and left side of top inside of piano. This piano belonged to a friend who recently passed away. Can you give me an idea of how old it is and what the worth might be? Just need ballpark figure as I need to sell ASAP. Thanks!
Debbie
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Debbie,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

The Lester Piano Company of Philadelphia made pianos for decades, and the Betsy Ross Spinet was their most famous product. Based on the serial number, your piano was built in 1960.

Older pianos do not have any value based on their being old. This is because the parts wear out and must be replaced. People who buy pianos are not collecting them; they are buying them to play.

Also, pianos that have not been regularly tuned, will not hold a tuning.

So, older pianos that have not been restored are at a disadvantage in the market.

Assuming this piano has been fully restored, fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately $800, depending on location and actual condition. IF it has not been restored or regularly tuned, its current far market value is approximately $250.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Debbie.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Debbie,

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about your item?

Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com; experts are verified users. Experts are only compensated when and if you, the customer, leaves a favorable rating.

Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.