Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

We have a Kawai, model number KG-2A, originally purchased in

Customer Question

We have a Kawai, model number KG-2A, originally purchased in 1994 timeframe. It is in very good condition, trying to identify it's value in preparation for selling it.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. Can you provide the serial?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finish, Ebony Polish

Thanks. Please allow me some time to check into this for you.

Thanks for your patience. I checked the serial and verified it was built in 1993. Kawai has had a great reputation for quality for many years. Their pianos are comparable to the quality of Yamaha however they are usually a better value. Considering the age and model as well as related depreciation I would recommend a selling range of approximately $9,000-$11,000 in a private sale. Best wishes!

Please select a positive rating at the top of the page. This is the only way I am credited for working with you today. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Appreciate your information, however, the range you have provided seems to be inconsistent with what potential buyers are telling us when they do their research. We have advertised via Craigslist and each time potential buyers ask us for the serial number. Our assumption is that they are validating the worth as well. Two of the individuals who did there research indicated the piano is worth between $6,000- $7000. Similar pianos are being sold retail for around $7000 with warranties. Is it realistic to tell potential buyers that the piano is worth 9,000 to 11,000, or should do we also need to consider the current market. If that's the case, what, in your opinion would be the lowest we should go when negotiating with potential buyers?

Thanks for your reply. I don't find it common for potential buyers to have real specific knowledge of what a piano should cost, beyond just Googling something and trying their best. There are some Kawai KG-2's selling (if you Google) in the $7-8k range but they are 10 years older and worth less than yours. A similar model to yours sells new for about $26,000 today and based on depreciation yours should sell for the range provided. That said, "should" and "do" are two different concepts and if you're not able to sell for what I'm suggesting, you may have to consider holding out for the right buyer or taking the best offer you have at the time if you need to get rid of it quick. Hope this helps!

Hi, checking back to see if my further explanation was what you needed? If you need no further help, please select a rating at the top to ensure I am credited for my time working with you. Thanks!