John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience:  Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.
62809984

My grandmother has given me an piano. It is an upright HEINe

Customer Question

My grandmother has given me an piano. It is an upright HEINe 1898-1900 SERIAL NUMBER 32555. i am thinking of selling it.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 1 year ago.

Based on your description and the serial number dating this piano to before 1900, it is in the order of 115 years old.

Apart from a very few unique and rare instruments, pianos are not usually bought as antiques in the furniture sense of the word because they are normally purchased as a musical instrument to be played.

Generally pianos have a limited life span of 60 to 70 years, mainly due to the wear during use and particularly due to the natural deterioration of the major mechanical parts such as the action, the strings, the soundboard, the tuning pins, the pin block, etc., over time. This can be extended by careful regular maintenance/tuning/repairs and restoration or a full rebuild. Thus one of the overriding factors in any appraisal valuation on a piano is the age and condition of the internal mechanics.

Based on the information I have, and assuming that it has not been restored in the last 40 or so years and is probably as originally built, I believe your piano has a value for a private sale in the $200 to $500 range. I am sorry that it is not better news. There are still a good many pianos of this type around and often for sale. If there has been some recent work restoration completed on this piano, please let me know the details and I will reassess the value range if appropriate.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. My aim is to provide you with a great service and receive a 5 star rating, therefore I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please accept the answer and click the ‘STAR RATING’ or the 'RATE TO FINISH' button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top, as this is the only way as an Independent Expert I receive any recompense for the research I do to assist you. There is no additional cost to you as my percentage of the payment for this question is taken from the amount you have agreed for this question only.

If you are disappointed in the value given ‘please do not shoot the messenger’ I can only give you a value based on the current markets and a reflection of similar sales. Many thanks and if you need any more help please contact me.

Rating button added, Thanks John.

Hello again. I see that you have viewed my answer to your question but not yet followed up on the question process. So may I ask if you need any further help? If you do not have any further points that need to be answered on this question, I would be very grateful if you could please click on the Star Rating button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top of this page. Thank you.