John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience:  Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.
62809984

I have a Schraaf Chicago cab net grand piano #17702 how much

Customer Question

I have a Adam Schraaf Chicago cab net grand piano #17702 how much is it worth?
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for your question. My name is***** will be a pleasure to help you. I will ask you to complete the star rating and payment process after I have completed the question for you.

I have not been able to locate any details for this piano maker. Could you please confirm the exact spelling of the name on the lid over the keys please Also may i have the height of your piano measured from the floor to the top of the closed top lid.

Apart from now needing tuning, has your piano been regularly tuned and maintained. Have any of the internal mechanics been replaced or restored over the years or is it all still as originally built?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will get back to you on Monday with the measurements . I don't think anything has been replaced or restored on it. thank you ***** *****

Thank you Carolyn. Monday will be fine - I believe the name on the lid over the keys will be ADAM SCHAAF.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello this is ***** ***** I'm responding about my piano Adam SCHAAF Chicago CAB NET GRAND #17702 THE HEIGHT IS 56 AND 3/4 TALL HAVE NOT HAD IT TUNED OR WORKED ON .ITS BEEN IN THE FAMILY FOR ABOUT 40 YEARS OR SO

Thank you for your patience Carolyn

The serial number dates your piano to 1904, so it is around 111 years old. At nearly 57 inches high it is a large upright piano which will have a good strong full sound.

Generally pianos have a limited life span of 60 to 70 years, mainly due to the wear during use and particularly due to the natural deterioration of the major mechanical parts such as the action, the strings, the soundboard, the tuning pins, the pin block, etc., over time. This can be extended by careful regular maintenance/tuning/repairs and some restoration over the years or a total re-build/restoration of the major mechanical components. Thus one of the overriding factors in any appraisal valuation on a piano is the age and condition of the internal mechanics, plus the potential for remaining life without the need for major expenditure to maintain or renew that life.

Based on the information I have, the details that you have provided, the fact that your Adam Schaaf Cabinet Grand Upright Piano has not had any major restoration in at least 40 years and mechanically it is probably as originally built in 1904 save for tunings plus ongoing maintenance, I believe it now has a value for a private sale in the $300 to $600 range. I am sorry that it is not better news but there are still a good many similar pianos around and often for sale.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. My aim is to provide you with a great service and receive a 5 star rating, therefore I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please accept the answer and click the ‘STAR RATING’ or the 'RATE TO FINISH' button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top, as this is the only way as an Independent Expert I receive any recompense for the research I do to assist you. There is no additional cost to you as my percentage of the payment for this question is taken from the amount you have agreed for this question only.

Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 10 months ago.

Hello again Carolyn. It seems that you may not have viewed my answer to your question or you have not received the Email to advise you that the appraisal answer is on here waiting for you. So may I ask if you need any further help? If you do not have any further points that need to be answered on this question, I would be very grateful if you could please complete the question process by clicking on the Star Rating button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top of this page. Thank you.