John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience:  Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.
62809984

I have a tiger oak Lakeside upright. I know it is little

Customer Question

I have a tiger oak Lakeside upright. I know it is little value but it has sentimental value. Interested in its age. Serial number 108014
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 12 months ago.

Thanks for your question Elizabeth. My name is***** will be a pleasure to help you.

The serial number dates your piano to a build year of 1918, so your piano is in the order of 97 years old.

Generally pianos have a limited life span of 60 to 70 years, mainly due to the wear during use and particularly due to the natural deterioration of the major mechanical parts such as the action, the strings, the soundboard, the tuning pins and the pin block over time. This can be extended by careful regular maintenance/tuning/repairs and restoration or a full rebuild. Thus one of the overriding factors in any appraisal valuation on a piano is the age and condition of the internal mechanics.

Based on the information I have, assuming that it is still as originally built and has not been restored or rebuilt in the last 30 or so years but has had some tuning and maintenance over the years, I believe your piano has a value for a private sale of up to $500 and a replacement insurance value of $800. There are still a good many pianos of this size and type around and often for sale.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. My aim is to provide you with a great service and receive a 5 star rating, therefore I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please accept the answer and click the ‘STAR RATING’ or the 'RATE TO FINISH' button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top, as this is the only way as an Independent Expert I receive any recompense for the research I do to assist you. There is no additional cost to you as my percentage of the payment for this question is taken from the amount you have agreed for this question only.

If you are disappointed in the value given ‘please do not shoot the messenger’ I can only give you a value based on the current markets and a reflection of similar sales. Many thanks and if you need any more help please contact me.

Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 11 months ago.

Hello again. It looks like you have not viewed my answer to your question - it could be that you did not receive the Email to advise you that the answer is on here waiting for you. So I am following up to see if you need any further help on this question? Please let me know. Thank you.