Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser
Experience:  30+ years of experience as an antique musical instrument appraiser. Member of Association of Online Appraisers.
53729464

We have a black, baby grand Bernhard Steiner in like new

Customer Question

We have a black, baby grand Bernhard Steiner in like new condition (we bought for our daughter, but she only played for about 6 months)...it has AB505 and G 84 on the Harp...I'm not sure where to locate the serial number, but would like to know age and how much it's worth? I believe it's around 15 years old (not 100% sure about the age) and quite confident it's made by Samick...
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 12 months ago.

Thanks for your question. Serial should be on the harp near tuning pins.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Is there another spot to locate...there are no numbers near the tuning pins except what I provided.

Samick commonly uses letters in their serials so the AB number may be it. Please allow me some time to look into this.

Thanks for your patience. In looking up this brand and related serial numbers I find none that begin with AB. That includes Steinert and Samick as well as Dietmann who also made pianos under the Steinert name. That said, I can't provide the age. Would you like me to provide an appraisal based on the approximate age you quoted?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
There's a zero in front of the 505...it's AB0505...I attached a picture in the previous post, but can't tell if you got it...

Hi, yes I got the photo and noted the 0, however Samick serial numbers didn't start with an AB. They usually started with an H or I.

Did you want me to go ahead and complete the appraisal with the approximate age you provided?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No because I have no idea if that info is correct when I look up Hyundai G84 High Gloss it shows $13,250 which I'm guessing is for a new piano. The AB 0505 is valid info on the Bernhard Steiner, according to what I'm reading, that someone that knows what they're doing (clearly I do not) should be able to determine the age...the pictures are below...

Thanks for the additional photos. I have extensive serial listings which are the only way to find a piano's age. I didn't know until now that the word Hyundai was included which may open up another set of numbers to investigate. I will try that. It's not a matter of me not knowing what I'm doing, it is a matter of some serial records being incomplete. You may also want to check all around and under the piano for another number. The AB0505 may not be the serial.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was charged the $36, but never heard back from you and don't feel our conversation is complete?
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I replied on the 7th with the following:

I was waiting for a reply from you to see if you were able to find another number somewhere. Please let me know.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You said that gave another set of numbers to investigate and you would try that...did you try that?

Yes, I did try that with again no serials beginning with "AB" or anything close to that.