twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.
57035021

My name is ***** *****, and I am trying to find out what my

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****, and I am trying to find out what my late mother's violin is worth. The label, which is dirty and hard to make out says Mathias Hornsteiner Geigenmacher. Mittenwald is also on the label as well as Anno 1816.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My mom played the instrument for years and I always thought it had a very nice tone.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Musical Instrument Appraisal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I can wait.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

Your violin is a workshop instrument, made n a factory in Mittenwald, Germany, around the turn of the 20th century. Many factories operated there, making thousands of these instruments, mostly for export. They are still considered good student instruments today (not for concert performers).

If your violin is in very good condition with very good tone, its current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately $900. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount, or $360, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about your item?

Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you.