John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience:  Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.
62809984

I have a 1933 Schiller Florentine style grand piano. I would

Customer Question

I have a 1933 Schiller Florentine style grand piano. I would like to know the value.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. My name is***** will be a pleasure to help you. I will ask you to complete the star rating and payment process after I have completed the question for you.

Could I have the maximum length of your Grand Piano measured to the point over the leg furthest away from the keys.

When was the work on your piano, which you have detailed, completed. Apart from the restoration/rebuilding work has your piano been regularly tuned and maintained please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The piano is a baby grand. I think is about 5 foot 3". I bought the piano about 4 years ago from a woman who no long had room for it. It looks exactly like the one at this web site: http://antiquepianoshop.com/online-museum/schiller/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been tuned once and kept under a soft cloth cover in my shop which is insulated. I live in California so it has never been exposed to extreme temperature.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The one on the web site says it is 5' 2". I think mine is that one because the dates are the same and mine has the same shorter lid support.

Thank you for the information Allen.

Was the piano restored just before you bought it or approximately when do you think the work was completed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it was restored about 10 years ago. Maybe at the Antique Piano Shop. I am emailing them now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you look at their web site?

Thank you for the details.

I will work on the basis that the restoration was 10 years ago.

Yes, I have looked at the one on the Antique Piano Shop web site.

Because the restoration details and when it was completed can make a great deal of difference to the valuation, did you receive any paperwork on this with the piano when you bought it. If you receive any more details from The Antique Piano shop please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got no paperwork but I do have the serial number as 837241 and that does date the piano to 1933. The woman did not say where she got it. I still have her name and I am contacting the Antique Piano Shop to see if that is where she got it. Mine looks identical to the one on their web site. Their listing price is $18k but I don't think it sold for that price

Did you start another question on this without some of the details you have on here? I was just checking it out and it has been picked up by another expert. Do you want to continue with both questions?

You are right, the price eventually attained was very likely to be considerably less than the $18,000. Shall I wait for further information before completing this? The question can remain open for at least 7 days if you wish or shall I complete the answer as best I can from here now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to know the fair market value of the piano or what a piano dealer might be willing to offer for it. Here is a photo of the piano.

Thank you Allen. I will complete the research and come back to you within the next 60 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

I assume that the serial number you have given has an extra digit in it, as the serial numbers listed for 1933 have 5 digits and start at 83500 and for 1934 they start at 85000.

Firstly to put things in context: the Antique Piano Shop pianos are generally total re-built restoration pianos using the best quality material available to bring the piano back to an almost as originally made condition. Thus with their reputation they tend to have quite high prices and, of course, as you touched on yourself, it is highly unlikely that they achieve the listed prices.

Your Schiller Baby Grand dated to 1933, is now approximately 82 years old. You have stated that it has been ‘’re-finished, the interior fully restored. New strings, new hammers, new pins and pin blocks, new felts’’. It is still possible that not all major components, such as the soundboard, were replaced or restored which would detract from the value. Also the restoration was approximately 10 years ago so there will inevitably be some depreciation due to age and usage.

From the picture I can see that the external condition of the casework on this piano is certainly very good.

Therefore based on the information I have, the condition as described and as viewed in the picture, the age, the style of the piano and the current markets, I believe this Schiller Baby Grand Piano has a value in the $7,000 to $8,900 range for a private sale. It may attain more in your locality but that will depend on the piano market there and a full hands-on inspection would be the only way to be absolutely certain. If you were to offer it to a Dealer then the price could be some 30% to 40% less than these figures.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. My aim is to provide you with a great service and receive a 5 star rating, therefore I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please accept the answer and click the ‘STAR RATING’ or the 'RATE TO FINISH' button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top, as this is the only way as an Independent Expert I receive any recompense for the research I do to assist you. There is no additional cost to you as my percentage of the payment for this question is taken from the amount you have agreed for this question only.

If you are disappointed in the value given ‘please do not shoot the messenger’ I can only give you a value based on the current markets and a reflection of similar sales. Many thanks and if you need any more help please contact me.

Hello again Allen. It seems that you have not yet viewed my appraisal answer - it could be that you did not receive it, so I am following up to see if you need any further help on this question? I would be very grateful if you could please let me know. Thank you.