Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

I have my grandmother's player piano from 1927. It has the

Customer Question

I have my grandmother's player piano from 1927. It has the foot boards to manually pump and original ivory keys. It is solid mahogany which I had refinished in 1987. It works fine and I have many of the original music rolls from then also. Can you give me an estimated value of this piano?
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 1 year ago.

Hi, when was it last tuned?

What brand is it?

Does the player mechanism work perfectly?

Is this an upright or grand?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's an upright about with 4.5' height. All mechanisms work perfectly. The brand on the front said Wellington. When I had it cleaned, checked and refinished the piano restorer said the main board inside was labeled "Baldwin".
Since I don't play it, I last had it tuned about 10 yrs ago.

Thanks for the information. It's interesting your says Baldwin inside, as the Wellington name was made by the Cable company, with some also by Ivers & Pond. But there is a lot of intermingling between piano companies so it certainly isn't impossible. Old upright player pianos like yours are very common on the used market, and because of the old age of the thousands of internal parts, the values tend to be pretty low. A piano declines in value with age, unless restorative work is done to improve that. While refinishing the piano does add some value, it isn't as much as mechanical restoration would.

Based on your description of maker, age, type, condition and refinishing, and based on recent sales of similar items, I would recommend a selling range of approximately $700-$1,200 in a private sale. Best wishes!
Please select a rating at the top of the page before leaving--this is the only way I receive credit for working with you. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This piano was completely restored when I had it refinished. The piano was completely taken apart and the lead tubes replaced with new rubber ones. It was with a restorer for 2 months as they had to take it apart and put it all back together again.

Was it just new tubes that were replaced? That wouldn't be a complete restoration. What's most important are them parts that make up the piano's action, hammers, felts, pins, block, etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was all restored because when I received the piano it hadn't been kept up and was in rough shape. I had asked him if it was worth restoring and he examined it and said the main board was still in great shape and that's when he told me it was Baldwin board. The restorer told me they replaced everything except for the ivory keys which he felt they were important to keep even though they were severely yellowed and rough looking.

So the internal action was all completely rebuilt with new parts? Do you remember how much the work cost when it was done?

Hi, just checking back with you on this...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I checked back when I had the restoration work done. It was 1984 and it cost $1500.
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 11 months ago.

Apologies for the delay. I have not yet been able to reevaluate this for you because of a technical error. I cannot see the rest of our communications. Tech support is looking into this and I'll be back with you as soon as they get it fixed.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok I'll wait patiently, no problem
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Did your tech dept help you find the rest of our communications yet?

Apologies but it hasn't been corrected. If you are able to see all the text could you copy and paste here? Otherwise, could you let me know all the info about the piano again and what your follow up question was? I want to make sure we get this resolved for you.