twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.
57035021

Parke Retford upright rosewood piano

Customer Question

Walter Parke Retford upright rosewood piano
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Judy,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

People who buy pianos are buying them to play. Unfortunately, your piano has condition issues, and that will lower its value considerably.

In the condition you are describing, your piano has a current retail (replacement or insurance) value of approximately $800.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Judy.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please reply to me before deciding to leave a negative rating, which does affect my job.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating!

You do that immediately following this answer by clicking one of the top two Smiles, or Stars depending which one you see on your answer.

Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What year do you think this piano was made? Thanks.
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

If you can give me the serial number, I can tell you when it was built.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only number I can find is 7585.
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

I'm unable to find any information on the age of your piano. I don't think that's the serial number.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was engraved in the top of the wood frame. Where are serial numbers generally located?
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

Here is a diagram that will help you:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That number was located in one of the spots indicated on the chart. I'll check again tonight for other numbers, but certainly didn't see any before.
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

Hmmm, must be the serial number after all. I'm going to do a little more research and get back to you.

Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry - I am unable to find any historical information on this company, so I'm unable to specifically date your piano. The closest I can come is mid-20th century.

Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please let me know.

I need your positive rating! could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Previous to your response, I received a notification from just Answer that no one was able to provide me with information about my piano. I was surprised, then, to later hear from you. I had researched my piano years ago and found out it was late 19th or early 20th century. I appreciated hearing a value of $800 and of course realized the issue of playability affected value. But when I asked the age, gave you the serial number and you admitted you knew nothing of the piano company and made an estimate of age that was about 50 years off, How can you appraise an instrument when you are unable to identify it? I don't know how you came to the figure of 800--what is that based on? i don't think I received any information that is based on any facts, and therefore question its validity.
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry you are unsatisfied. I am going to Opt Out, so another expert can help you. You don't need to do anything more. If someone else has a better answer, they will contact you.

Good luck!