twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.
57035021

My father has a violin and we have no idea what it is worth.

Customer Question

My father has a violin and we have no idea what it is worth. If it is a copy or original. It has Antonius Stradivarius made in 1713. Other words; Cremonensis Fav or Fau, anno, CEZCHOSLOVAKIN.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dorlee,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

Antonio Stradivari was an Italian luthier. He never made any instruments in Czechoslovakia, a country that didn't exist during his lifetime. The location of all his violins still in existence is known. The word "Czechoslovakia" on the label indicates that this violin is a copy and was made between 1918 and 1945 in a factory.

If your violin is in very good condition, with very good tone, its current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately $1,000. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount, or $400, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Dorlee.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please reply to me before deciding to leave a negative rating, which does affect my job.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating!

You do that immediately following this answer by clicking one of the top two Smiles, or Stars depending which one you see on your answer.

Thank you so much!